Motor Vehicle Logbook (Excel Template)
A template to record your motor vehicle work or business activity. The Australian Taxation Office requires a logbook be kept if you want to claim a tax deduction for your motor vehicle expenses, including Fuel, Services, Repairs, Registration, Insurance, and interest on loan or depreciation on the purchase price.
This template will allow you to record your travel in your motor vehicle. If you want to claim a tax deduction for your motor vehicle expenses, the Australian Taxation Office require that a logbook is kept for a minimum of 12 consecutive weeks. At the end of the 12 weeks, you will be able to calculate a percentage based on your business or work related travel as a total of your total KM. Using this percentage, you may then claim a portion of your motor vehicle’s Fuel, Services, Repairs, Registration costs, Insurance premiums, interest on loans, and depreciation of the purchase price.
You can always buy logbook booklets to keep in your car, however you find that the digital logbook may be useful for the following circumstances;
- Your old logbook is damaged, and you want to convert it to a digital format for storage or passing it to your accountant or tax agent
- You are re-constructing your travel record from old invoices, job and diary notes into an ATO approved format.
- You have multiple vehicles.
- You are re-using the logbook template from a previous year.
- Print the blank logbook pages and keep as a paper copy.